New Report Reveals Vision Loss a Concern for Aging Americans Surveyed, But Majority Are Unaware Age-related Macular Degeneration Is a Leading Cause of Blindness
VAUGHAN, Ontario , Sept. 13, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — Bausch + Lomb Corporation (NYSE/TSX: BLCO) (“Bausch + Lomb”), a leading global eye health company dedicated to helping people see better to live better, today released a report of survey results from the company’s first annual Visionary Report , which was designed to identify new key insights into the value People in america place on their eyesight, as well as the ‘blind spots’ that may exist in the understanding and awareness of Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD), the leading cause of vision loss for those over age 50 1 plus the leading cause associated with blindness with regard to the 65+ population 2 .
Experience the particular full interactive Multichannel News Release here: https://www.multivu.com/players/English/8949451-bausch-lomb-sponsored-visionary-report-amd/
Most notably in the report, 81% of U. S. adults surveyed would be willing to give up something else that is important – going on vacation, a million dollars, the internet, listening to music, the ability to remember people’s names or another one of their senses – if it meant never losing their own eyesight. Despite this clear prioritization of the ability in order to see, only 37% of U. S. adults 50+ surveyed know that AMD is a very real threat as a leading reason for vision reduction for Us citizens.
“Today in the United States , an estimated 16 million Americans suffer from AMD, and this figure is expected to grow as the number of all those age 65 and older continues to rise, ” 3-4 said Joe Gordon , president, Global Consumer, Surgical and Eyesight Care, Bausch + Lomb. “Bausch + Lomb will be committed to addressing the eye health needs associated with patients, and we believe it’s essential to gain a better understanding of how Americans understand this condition and its potentially debilitating impact on their particular vision. Our hope is that this particular report will raise awareness, help in order to fill individuals education gaps and foster important dialogue between vision care professionals and their patients. inch
Key findings from the 2022 Visionary Statement include:
Eyesight is usually a crystal clear priority across generations.
- 62% of Americans 50+ are worried about losing their own eyesight as they age.
- 81% of Americans would be willing to give up 1 of the particular following if it meant never losing their vision: going upon vacation again, $1,348,290, the internet, hearing music, the opportunity to remember people’s names yet another one associated with their senses.
Despite this, ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES – the leading cause of vision loss – isn’t in focus.
- Only 44% of Americans are concerned about developing AMD because they get old.
- Alzheimer’s disease and dementia impact 11% of seniors 65+ plus 82% associated with Americans 65+ are very/somewhat familiar with this. By contrast, AMD impacts 30% from the 65+ population and only 56% of these aged 65+ are aware of it. 5
True knowledge of ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES remains blurry.
- 61% of Americans aren’t aware that will a dilated eye exam is needed to diagnose AMD.
- 58% associated with Americans 50+ aren’t sure if the particular progression of AMD will be inevitable.
- Less than half associated with Americans are usually aware that vitamins/supplements may reduce the risk of progression associated with AMD within some patients.
Americans have a desire in order to see what they’ve been missing, learn more plus take action.
- 75% of People in america who see an ophthalmologist/optometrist and have heard of AMD have in no way discussed this with their provider.
- 77% of this group will be interested in discussing AMD, along with its warning signs and risk factors, using their eye doctor.
“The data included in the Bausch + Lomb Experienced Report is definitely impactful like a practicing physician as it demonstrates that will many of those who are vulnerable to AMD are both unaware of the risk and are usually unfortunately lacking a full understanding of ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES and exactly how it can affect their vision, ” said Rishi Singh , staff physician, Cleveland Clinic Florida, and president, Cleveland Clinic Martin North and South Hospitals. “It’s clear that the majority of Us citizens who have been to the eye doctor are fascinated in talking about the condition, warning signs and risk factors, and these are insights my colleagues and I can use to help patients feel confident and in control of their attention health. inches
To read the particular 2022 Visionary Report, visit https://www.sightmatters.com/visionary-report .
About the Methodology Behind the Visionary Record
The Visionary Review was conducted online within the United States by The Harris Poll on behalf of Bausch + Lomb from April 14-18, 2022 among 2, 073 respondents, 18 years of age and older. The sampling precision associated with Harris Online Polls can be measured by using a Bayesian credible interval. For this study, the particular sample data is accurate to inside +2. 8 percentage points using a 95% confidence level.
Age-related Macular Deterioration (AMD) is certainly a progressive eye situation that impacts central eyesight and is a top cause of blindness in grown ups aged 50 and old. The eye illness impacts central vision plus occurs when the macula – the part of the eyesight that controls sharp straight-ahead vision – is damaged over time, causing people to possess difficulty seeing faces, reading, driving or doing close-up work like cooking. 3 Early-stage AMD often does not present any symptoms or even changes in vision, as symptoms usually appear gradually with time. This progressive problem can impact a single or both eyes. 3
About Bausch + Lomb
Bausch + Lomb is dedicated to protecting and enhancing the gift of sight regarding millions associated with people around the world – from the moment of birth through every phase of life. Its comprehensive portfolio of more than 400 products includes contact lenses, lens care products, eyes care products, ophthalmic pharmaceuticals, over-the-counter items and ophthalmic surgical devices and instruments. Founded in 1853, Bausch + Lomb has a significant global research and development, manufacturing and commercial footprint with more than 12, 000 employees plus a presence in nearly 100 countries. Bausch + Lomb will be headquartered within Vaughan, Ontario with corporate offices in Bridgewater, New Jersey . For more information, visit www.bausch.com and connect along with us on Twitter , LinkedIn , Facebook plus Instagram .
This particular news release might contain forward-looking statements, which may generally be identified by the particular use associated with the words “anticipates, ” “hopes, ” “expects, ” “intends, ” “plans, ” “should, ” “could, ” “would, ” “may, ” “believes, ” “estimates, ” “potential, ” “target, ” or “continue” and variations or even similar expressions. These statements are based upon the current expectations plus beliefs of management and are subject to certain risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially through those described in the forward-looking statements. These dangers and questions include, but are not limited to, the risks and uncertainties discussed inside Bausch + Lomb’s filings with the particular U. H. Securities and Exchange Commission and the Canadian Securities Administrators, which factors are incorporated herein by reference. They also include, but are not limited in order to, risks plus uncertainties caused by or relating to the evolving COVID-19 pandemic, and the fear of that will pandemic and its potential effects, the severity, duration and future impact of which are highly uncertain plus cannot be predicted, and which usually may possess a material adverse impact upon Bausch + Lomb, including but not restricted to the project development timelines, launches and costs (which may increase). Readers are cautioned not in order to place undue reliance on any of these forward-looking statements. These forward-looking claims speak just as of the date hereof. Bausch + Lomb undertakes no obligation to update some of these forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date of the news release or to reflect actual outcomes, unless required by law.
- Source: Prevent Blindness: Age-Related Macular Degeneration Fact Sheet: https://preventblindness.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/PBAMD_Fact-Sheet21.pdf .
- Centers For Disease Control and Prevention Website. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/visionhealth/resources/features/macular-degeneration.html#:~:text=AMD%20is%20a%20major%20cause,vision%20needed%20to%20see%20clearly . Accessed June eight, 2022 .
- National Eye Institute Website. Retrieved from https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/eye-conditions-and-diseases/age-related-macular-degeneration . Accessed June 8, 2022 .
- Oughout. S. Census Bureau, Population Projections. Gathered from https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2018/cb18-41-population-projections.html . Utilized June 7, 2022 .
- Centers intended for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Chronic Conditions Prevalence State/County Table: All Fee-For-Service Beneficiaries.
© 2022 Bausch & Lomb Incorporated or its affiliates.
PV2. 0092. USA. 22
SOURCE Bausch + Lomb