If you purchase an independently reviewed product or service through a link on our website, WWD may receive an affiliate commission.
If there’s one thing all — well, most — of us can agree on, it’s that 10-step skin care routines are so pre-pandemic. If you’re aiming to get in the less-is-more spirit this year, Curology may be your answer. For those looking to do a skin care detox this January, we tested out Curology’s services and products to see if the brand lives up in order to its hype.
Curology is known for their personalized prescription formulas, which are prescription creams that are usually made for a person under the guidance of a licensed dermatology provider. You’ll take a survey that asks you about your skin type, skin concerns, medical history, and skin goals, then snap images of your skin for review by a licensed medical provider. Shortly after, you’ll get details on your personalized doctor prescribed formula. Plus, Curology provides additional tips for changes to make in your routine for max benefits. In case you’re after something to smooth away fine lines, fade dark spots, or put your own acne era in the rear-view mirror, Curology’s personalized prescription formulas have clinically-proven ingredients in order to help create it happen. You can also choose to add on products like moisturizers, cleansers, and acne spot patches that work in harmony with your customized prescription formula, making it straightforward to care for your skin like a pro.
Beyond a personalized skin protocol, you’ll love Curology because the active ingredients for your skin are concentrated into one method. (No more fussing over which products to apply when, or even wondering if your latest face serum is actually working. ) All you have to do will be follow your own licensed dermatology provider’s instructions on applying your personalized formula, plus round out your program with the gentle cleanser, moisturizer, and SPF 30 sunscreen.
Keep reading for our Curology review to see if it may be right for your new year, brand new skin care schedule.
Curology Future-Proof Rx
- Products examined: Curology Future Proof Rx, Gentle Cleanser, Cream Moisturizer, Micellar Makeup Remover, Lip Balm, plus Emergency Spot Patches
- Testing time period: Five days
- Application method: I applied a pea size amount of the Curology Future Proof Rx formulation every other night, following up with the particular brand’s moisturizer. I used the Micellar Makeup Remover and the Gentle Facial cleanser morning and night. I applied the particular Emergency Place Patches plus the Lips Balm as needed during testing.
- All products are non-comedogenic, cruelty-free, and paraben-free
- Simple, easy in order to navigate packaging
- Access to licensed dermatology providers to solution any questions about the formulas
- Those with pimples may experience skin purging a few weeks right after treatment
- When first starting out, personalized formulations should not be used with certain ingredients like glycolic acid plus vitamin C
You can find many different ingredients in skincare products, which can overwhelm the skin and scramble your mind when you’re choosing new skin care goods. Curology offers clinically-proven ingredients like topical clindamycin and tretinoin to treat acne, rosacea, and signs of aging. Using information from your own consultation, your licensed healthcare provider will choose a combination of three ingredients for your own personalized prescription formula. Here’s a breakdown of some components you may be prescribed.
- Tretinoin: This vitamin A derivative is a gold standard acne treatment that also helps treat darkish spots, fine line, plus texture.
- Azelaic Acid : This ingredient fights bacteria and assists unclog pores, reduce redness, and fade dark spots.
- Niacinamide : This form associated with vitamin B3 helps fight inflammation, target dark places, and may help improve good lines and skin elasticity over period.
- Clindamycin : This topical antibiotic prevents the growth of germs in clogged pores plus can assist soothe inflammation associated with acne.
- Metronidazole : An antimicrobial utilized to deal with rosacea and periorificial dermatitis.
- Zinc Pyrithione : Commonly used for dandruff, this component also works against both bacteria plus fungus that will contribute to acne.
- Tranexamic Acid : This synthetic amino acid derivative helps lighten dark areas caused by melasma and post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. It may also help reduce inflammation and improve skin barrier function.
How Does Curology Work?
The process begins with a simple survey that requires you questions about your skin, as well as pertinent medical information such as medications a person take, allergies, and medical conditions. You’ll furthermore answer queries about your skin type, then select your own top pores and skin concerns such as acne, dark spots, wrinkles, clogged skin pores, redness or rosacea, pores and skin texture, and firmness. (Fear not, you can choose multiple concerns. ) After you’ve completed the particular quiz, Curology will prompt you in order to upload three images of your encounter, one front view, one of the left side of your face, plus one of the right. Remember to take off any makeup before taking the photos. These images, along with all the information you submit, are usually safely and securely stored. Your healthcare provider may review the images, your own medical history, and your epidermis concerns to identify which ingredients to include in your individualized prescription formula.
After reviewing your questionnaire and pictures, you’ll get a message via the secure website with almost all the information on your personalized prescription method, including the particular strengths associated with each ingredient your medical professional selects. You can choose in order to add-on additional products. Your simplified skin care regimen should arrive within 7 to 10 days.
Curology Testing Review
After dropping my previous skin treatment routine to test six of Curology’s skin care and attention offerings, the first thing I noticed is that I didn’t experience a good ounce of redness or even irritation, which is the common occurrence when I test new products. The particular workhorse inside my routine is the particular Custom Formula Rx: My provider recommended me a formula with 0. 035% tretinoin, 5% tranexamic acid, and 4% niacinamide. Tranexamic acid is an ingredient I’m excited to cycle in; it can help you score an even skin tone by brightening darkish spots plus reducing redness. The Future Evidence Rx came with plenty of advice regarding mitigating potential adverse side effects — your dermatology supplier will spill the details when you sign up — but I had the advantage of a few months of consistent retinol use prior in order to Curology, which usually generally makes my pores and skin less sensitive to new vitamin A derivatives We cycle in.
The additional items I tried were extra gentle on my combination skin. The moisturizer had a way of keeping my T-zone grease-free and preventing dryness on my cheeks (combination skin folks, you know this is hard to find). The particular micellar water feels similar to others on the market, but the eye drop-style dispenser let me apply the formulation to cotton pads without making a mess upon my bathroom counter. As for the particular lip balm, I was in love at first swipe. Simply slide the nub on the tube down to reveal the bullet — no need to worry about dropping the cap.
More Curology Products to Consider
Meet the Author
Claire Sullivan is the particular Senior Beauty and Lifestyle Commerce Editor for WWD and Footwear News. She’s spent over five years researching, reporting on, plus writing about the beauty industry for publications like Martha Stewart Living, Martha Stewart Weddings, InStyle, and Byrdie. Sullivan tested Curology’s full line with regard to this story, reviewing the process of getting a personalized prescription formula because well as the brand’s additional skincare products.