FORT WORTH, Texas–( BUSINESS WIRE )–Alcon (SIX/NYSE: ALC), the global leader in eye care dedicated to helping people see brilliantly, announced today new product launches in the U. S. as well while activities taking place at the upcoming American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) 2022 annual meeting in Chicago.
Alcon introduces Clareon Toric IOL at AAO and completes the Clareon Collection
With the particular introduction associated with Clareon ® Toric intraocular lens (IOL), Alcon offers a robust portfolio of options for U. S. cataract patients with astigmatism on its latest, glistening-free * material. 1-3 Clareon Toric features unique and proven STABLEFORCE ® Haptics technology, along with demonstrated superior rotational plus axial stability when compared to TECNIS † and enVista. 4, 5†**
Clareon Toric and Clareon Monofocal consistently deliver a broad refractive landing zone, providing functional intermediate vision while maintaining the expected 20/20 visual acuity in distance. 6-8 The Clareon Collection of IOLs is now complete and includes Clareon Monofocal, Clareon Toric, Clareon PanOptix ® , Clareon PanOptix Toric, Clareon Vivity ® plus Clareon Vivity Toric—all available in UV-absorbing and blue light filtering foldable options within the U. S.
“When deciding which zoom lens to recommend to my patients, I like in order to have a toolbox of versatile options that provide consistent, predictable outcomes—and the Clareon Collection associated with IOLs offers exactly that will, ” said Kerry Solomon, MD. § “Now, with the availability of Clareon Toric, I am able to offer the patients the glistening-free, * astigmatism-correcting option for them during surgery. ”
Expanding Alcon’s digital offerings with Fidelis, and patient engagement
Fidelis™ Virtual Reality Ophthalmic Surgical Simulator, which was introduced in select markets in May, is now available for pre-order for customers within the Circumstance. S. Fidelis offers a high-fidelity, virtual operating room environment with haptic feedback to simulate the look plus feel of cataract surgical treatment, helping new surgeons hone their skills. 9, 10
“Partnering along with ophthalmologists in order to develop world-class solutions that help drive optimal outcomes is in our DNA—and we would not be able to deliver digital innovations without these trusted relationships, ” stated Sergio Duplan, Region President Alcon North America. “At AAO, we are proud to showcase our cloud-based connected technologies with ARGOS ® , the fastest growing biometer in the U. S., like well as other key offerings like a text-driven patient engagement tool with demonstrable ROI for ophthalmology practices. ” 11, 12
The need for remote, digital solutions in ophthalmology has never been greater, given worldwide surgery backlogs and staffing shortages. Alcon is committed to shaping electronic transformation inside ophthalmology. In addition to the opportunity in order to demo Fidelis, surgeons will be able to experience and sign up for a resource that educates cataract patients about surgical procedure and advanced technology IOL options via SMS text. These activities will take place at Alcon booth #3926 at the AAO exhibit hall, upon Oct. 1-3 from nine: 00 the. m. –5: 00 p. m. Central Time.
Data highlight benefits of Alcon surgical ophthalmic products
Key studies being presented on Alcon items include:
- Global registry data in more than 750 individuals surrounding AcrySof ® IQ Vivity ® IOL supports continued individual satisfaction, low instances associated with visual disturbances and reduced spectacle dependence. 13
- Results from a multicenter, prospective clinical trial demonstrates energy and surgical time savings when using the CENTURION ® phacoemulsification system with Active Sentry ® . 14
- A novel retina imaging technique using the particular NGENUITY ® 3D Visualization System unveiled by surgeons seeking to develop more efficient methods for fluorescein angiography. 15
- A clinical study of 500 eyes comparing results of CONTOURA ® Laser Vision Correction along with Phorcides Analytic Engine within low versus high myopia. 16
To learn more about Alcon news, events and data taking place during AAO, please visit MyAlconatAAO. com .
About Clareon IOLs and Delivery Systems
The family associated with Clareon intraocular lenses (IOLs) includes the Clareon Aspheric Hydrophobic Acrylic and Clareon Aspheric Toric IOLs, the particular Clareon PanOptix Trifocal Hydrophobic IOL, Clareon PanOptix Toric, Clareon Vivity Extended Eyesight Hydrophobic Posterior Chamber IOL and Clareon Vivity Toric IOLs. Each of these IOLs is indicated with regard to visual correction of aphakia in adult patients following cataract surgery. In addition , the Clareon Toric IOLs are usually indicated to correct pre-existing corneal astigmatism at the particular time of cataract surgical treatment. The Clareon PanOptix lens mitigates the effects associated with presbyopia simply by providing improved intermediate plus near visible acuity while maintaining comparable distance visual acuity with a reduced need for eyeglasses, compared to a monofocal IOL. The particular Clareon Vivity lens mitigates the effects of presbyopia by providing an extended depth of focus. Compared to an aspheric monofocal IOL, the particular lens provides improved intermediate and near visual acuity while keeping comparable distance visual awareness. All of these IOLs are intended regarding placement inside the capsular bag. Careful preoperative evaluation and sound clinical judgment should be used by the surgeon in order to decide the particular risk/benefit ratio before implanting any IOL in the patient with any of the conditions described in the Directions for Use that accompany each IOL. Prior to surgical procedure, physicians should provide potential patients along with a copy of the Patient Information Brochure available from Alcon, informing all of them of possible risks and benefits associated with these types of IOLs. Reference the Instructions for Make use of labelling intended for each IOL for a complete listing of indications, warnings plus precautions.
About The Alcon Experience Academy
The Alcon Experience Academy is the particular umbrella to get Alcon’s industry-leading training for Eye Care Professionals, supporting staff, residents and students – whether in person, online or through other hands-on experiential learning opportunities. The Alcon Encounter Academy offers thousands of courses every year, from immersive virtual reality training plus online educational courses, to in-person training at Alcon Experience Centers worldwide. The particular Alcon Experience Academy website provides coaching and education resources upon disease states, as well as the latest advancements in techniques and approaches for the safe and effective use of Alcon technology.
Regarding ARGOS ® Biometer with Image Guidance
ARGOS will be a non-invasive, non-contact biometer based on swept source optical coherence tomography (SS-OCT). The device is intended to acquire ocular measurements because well since perform calculations to determine the appropriate intraocular zoom lens (IOL) power and type for implantation during intraocular lens placement. Please refer to the particular ARGOS User Manual for a complete description of proper use and maintenance, optical and technical specifications, as well as a complete list of warnings plus precautions.
About AcrySof ® IQ Vivity ® IOL
The non-diffractive AcrySof ® IQ Vivity ® Extended Vision Posterior Chamber Intraocular Lens Model DFT015 (referred in order to as AcrySof ® IQ Vivity ® IOL) is an UV -absorbing and blue light-filtering foldable intraocular lens (IOL). This IOL, compared to a monofocal IOL, offers an extended range associated with vision through distance in order to near without increasing the incidence of visual disruptions.
Potential side effects: As with any surgery, there is an implicit risk, whether or not the particular IOL is usually implanted. The particular complications associated with the IOL implantation surgery ranges from minor side effects (usually temporary) to serious complications. Patients with previous illnesses or even disorders (such as chronic infections of the eye or eyelids, or even diabetes) may present a higher risk of complications. Temporary medical complications include, but are not limited to, reactions in order to medications such as irritation or mild allergic response, bleeding, redness, itching from the eye, sensitivity to light, swelling, corneal edema (swelling of the cornea), problems with the particular iris, cell growth within the IOL, plus an increase temporary eye pressure. There is the small danger of needing further operative treatment (such as IOL replacement implanted by a different one or surgical treatment to improve vision) after the implantation of the initial IOL.
About CENTURY ® Vision Program
The CENTURION ® Vision System is indicated for emulsification, separation, irrigation, and aspiration of cataracts, residual cortical material and lens epithelial cells, vitreous aspiration plus cutting associated with anterior vitrectomy, bipolar coagulation, and intraocular lens injection. Appropriate utilization of CENTURION ® Eyesight System parameters and accessories is important for successful procedures. Please refer to the particular ORA SYSTEM ® Operator’s Manual for a complete description of proper use and maintenance, as well as a complete listing of contraindications, warnings and precautions.
About NGENUITY ® THREE DIMENSIONAL Visualization System
The particular NGENUITY 3D Visualization Program consists of a 3D stereoscopic, high-definition digital video camera plus workstation to provide magnified stereoscopic images associated with objects during micro-surgery. It acts as a good adjunct to the surgical microscope throughout surgery displaying real-time images or pictures from recordings. Please make reference to the Consumer Manual pertaining to a complete list of appropriate uses, warnings and precautions.
Alcon helps people see brilliantly. As the global leader within eye care with the heritage spanning over 75 years, we offer the broadest portfolio of products to enhance sight plus improve people’s lives. Our Surgical and Vision Care products touch the lives of more than 260 million individuals in over 140 countries each year living with problems like cataracts, glaucoma, retinal diseases plus refractive errors. Our a lot more than 24, 000 associates are enhancing the quality of life through innovative products, partnerships with Vision Care Experts and programs that advance access in order to quality vision care. Learn more from www.alcon.com .
2. Defined seeing that modified Miyata grade 0, < 25mv/mm2over 3 years (n=138), and more than 9 years (n=20), respectively.
** Compared in vitro with enVista † and TECNIS † (n=10 lenses per group, P< 0. 05).
† Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
§ Dr. Solomon is definitely a paid Alcon consultant.
- Werner L, Thatthamla We, Ong M, et al. Evaluation associated with clarity characteristics in a new hydrophobic acrylic IOL. J Cataract RefractSurg. 2019; 45: 1490-1497.
- Oshika T, Fujita Y, Inamura Meters, Miyata K. Mid-term and long-term medical assessments of a new 1-piece hydrophobic acrylic IOL with hydroxyethyl methacrylate. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2020 May; 46(5): 682-687.
- Maxwell A, Suryakumar R. Long-term effectiveness plus safety of a three-piece acrylic hydrophobic intraocular lens modified with hydroxyethyl-methacrylate: an open-label, 3-year follow-up study. Clin Ophthalmol. 2018; 12: 2031-2037.
- Alcon Data on File, 2017.
- Lane S, Collins S, Das KK, Maass S, Thatthamla I, Schatz H, Van Noy H, Jain R. Evaluation associated with intraocular lens mechanical balance. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2019 Apr; 45(4): 501-506.
- Clareon ® Vivity ® Toric Directions for Use.
- Bala C, Poyales F, Guarro Mirielle, et ing. Multi-country scientific outcomes of a brand new nondiffractive presybopia-correcting intraocular zoom lens. Journal associated with Cataract and refractive surgical procedure published ahead of print DOI: 10. 1097/j. jcrs. 0000000000000712.
- Varma, Devesh, et. ‘s. Clinical outcomes of the new non-diffractive presbyopia-correcting intraocular lens through two large confirmatory studies. American Academy of Ophthalmology. Abstract: PA005.
- Skou Thomsen A, Bach-Holm D, Kjaerbo H, et al. Operating Room Performance Improves After Proficiency-Based Virtual Reality Cataract Surgery Training. National Institute of Health. 2017 April. Doi: ten. 1016/j. ophtha. 2016. eleven. 015. Epub 2016 Dec 22. PMID: 28017423. Available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28017423/ .
- Alcon Information on Document, 2022.
- Alcon Data upon File, 2022.
- Alcon Data on File, 2022.
- Srinivasan, Sathish, MBB. Patient-Reported results and Visual Performance From Real-World Registry Study With a Novel Wavefront-Shaping EDOF IOL. AAO, Chicago, IL. 1 October 2022.
- Brézin, Antoine, MD. Evaluation of a Phacoemulsification Handpiece With A Built-in Fluidics Pressure Sensor: The SASCA Multicenter Study. AAO, Chicago, IL. 1 October 2022.
- Franklin, Alan, MD. FA-Enhanced Visualization During Vitrectomy for Retinal Vascular Disease. AAO, Chi town, IL. one October 2022.
- Shah, Nita, MBBS. Clinical Study of 500 Eyes Comparing Outcomes with Contoura Laser Vision Correction (LVC) with Phorcides Analytic Engine in Low versus High Myopia. AAO, Chicago, IL. 1 Oct 2022.
Connect with us on